Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mothers Day

The gift of life is a mother's greatest gift.
Appreciate, respect, and acknowledge this.

I found this poem by Dr Bernie Seigel that sums up Mother's Day beautifully.

What gift will you give your mother this Mother's Day?
Is a card clever enough?
Will jewels sparkle enough?
What words say enough?
There is perhaps one gift that is enough,
Your life . . .
Thank her for it
And live your life with the love she bestowed on you
Then share that love with all

As a daughter and now a mother, I can appreciate both sides of the coin. My own mum lost her fight to cancer a number of years ago, but on Mother's Day I still acknowledge with great thanks that she loved enough to give me life. Now my life is a reflection of that love. I see part of my job as a mother is to give my own children the confidence and love to allow them to go and live their own lives, the best that they can. When I see my children having the confidence to try new things, to give something their best shot or to hold their own standards high in the midst of peer pressure, I know that I am succeeding as a mother. But also when they make their own mistakes, to learn life's hard lessons, to suffer the angst of being a kid, I know that I am succeeding as a mother. In good times and bad, I know that I am succeeding as a mother because my children want to share these times with me, and for that I am eternally grateful.

So to all the mothers out there - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY. The best gift that you can get from your children is love, that only comes when you first give it away.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Mothers DaySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment