Sunday, May 3, 2009

Good Friends

Friendship improves happiness and abates misery,
by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.

Yesterday we had the pleasure of meeting up with good friends and sharing a simple picnic by the river. Our children made some new friends and shared a game of touch football and frisbee and there were no arguments at all - except when we had to leave to go home on dusk. The company was fabulous, we enjoyed making new happy memories and laughing over good times we had shared. There was no great expense and the rewards were huge.

It made me ask "What is a friend?"

To me it is someone who knows all your faults and still loves you regardless. A friend is someone who can see past the imperfections to the beauty that lies beneath. A friend is someone who is there for you even if you don't have the courage to ask for help. A friend is someone who can say no to you and still remain a friend.

A true friend will point out your imperfections - not to put you down or criticise, but to help you become better at what you are doing. A friend will always answer your calls, even when you are driving them nuts. A friend never talks about who is right, instead they listen to your feelings.

A friend will not judge without making the effort to understand, and can forgive, let go of the past and continue to love. Though probably the most important thing a friend never do, is abandon you, no matter what you do.

I am fortunate in this life to have the privilege of calling a large number of wonderful people "friend" though I think of them as the family I have choosen for myself as opposed to the one that I was blessed with at birth. I am grateful for the ones I am able to regularly spend time with, as well as the ones I rarely get to see plus all the ones I am yet to meet.



Our children enjoying the great outdoors -Sometimes the best things aren't things at all - laughing, spending time with precious friends and just being make the best memories



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Good FriendsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a totally magnificent tree!!!!! Lucky girl to get flowers from your darling the other day too!!! It's your birthday today & I have been snowed under & it nearly got passed me, I hope you had a beautiful day & I wish I could've spent it with you. I am off to Wagga tomorrow for a bit of zone-out time, I am really pushed to my limits at the moment!!! Happy Birthday my Love anyway xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete