Monday, February 9, 2009

The Angel Inside

Just finished reading the book "The Angel Inside" by Chris Widener - a short little fable full of some great lessons in life. It uses Michelangelo's David to inspire us to take our lives to the next level. To encourage and challenge us to create a life of power and beauty.

One of the quotes in the book really resonated with me. It is:

There comes a time in every person's life when they must decide whether they will follow what they want for their life or what someone else wants for their life.

I spent years at high school and then at university chasing someone else's dreams, putting aside my own in the hope of love, acceptance and recognition. While I excelled and have some fantastic friends and memories from these times, I know now with the benefit of hindsight, that my heart was not engaged. When I did finally pursue my dreams for my sake, life soared. I can only hope that I have shown my own children that you need to follow your heart, so that happiness in all its glory can be theirs. Yet, I am unsure of whether I had to still follow that path to arrive at where I am today. If I had gone to art school instead of university will I have met the love of my life, would I have two gorgeous children.

This brings me to another part of the book. Michelangelo is talking about the process of creating the sculpture David, one of the greatest works of art ever created, one that I hope to see in reality one day not just in pictures. Michelangelo states that sculpting has 4 stages - chipping, sculpting, sanding and polishing - all are necessary to take some from the raw material to the finished work of art. He then adds

We must go through the same progression: Chip away what doesn't belong, sculpt our lives and give them form through the people we associate with and the information we take in, allow the rough spots of our lives to be sanded away through adversity and suffering, and then and only then, are we ready to be polished and let our power and beauty show in all of it's glory.

Do we have to go through the mistakes, the pain in order to grow into the best that we can? Do we need to be sanded by adversity, by trials and suffering to give meaning to our lives? How many of us what to be able to shine, to let the world see how beautiful we are without putting the work in to really own the moment? What lessons can we get from the negative circumstances that do occur in our lives?

Finally, one last quote that I want to find an image for:

Live your life with Excellence. Become a person that others will be proud to know. Do the best you can at your work. And everything that is destined to pass will indeed come to pass.

Keep an eye out for a new series of inspirational prints at my website http://www.art4inspiration.com to check if I have found the perfect image, or send me some feedback of what you think could go with this amazing quote.
The Angel InsideSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment